Welcome!

It's tough to be an introvert in an extrovert world, especially in an extrovert's profession, like teaching. Through this blog, I'd like to share my own and others' reflections on being an introvert in the classroom. This isn't a place for misanthropes or grumps, though; I hope to thoughtfully discuss the challenges that introverts face in schools and celebrate the gifts that introverted teachers and students bring to the educational environment. If you can relate, please join me!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mindy Kaling's book

Recently finished Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, and got a lot of laughs. I particularly loved the section heading entitled, "I Forget Nothing: A Sensitive Child Looks Back." She describes keeping a list of her favorite foods with her at all times in case someone should ask. I love a defense against awkward small talk. And oh, how many of us shy types have mentally bullet-pointed an awkward conversation, or worse, not mentally but literally written out a list of things to say?

A lot of people think Facebook is a shallow soul-killer, but I love what it's done for small talk, which introverts tend to dread. I can get the information of small talk but without the face-to-face awkwardness and immediate need to respond. I can peek into others' lives without having to keep a conversation going. Like.

No comments:

Post a Comment