Welcome!

It's tough to be an introvert in an extrovert world, especially in an extrovert's profession, like teaching. Through this blog, I'd like to share my own and others' reflections on being an introvert in the classroom. This isn't a place for misanthropes or grumps, though; I hope to thoughtfully discuss the challenges that introverts face in schools and celebrate the gifts that introverted teachers and students bring to the educational environment. If you can relate, please join me!

Monday, July 22, 2019

Cinderella, Introvert Princess

So, what I'm about to say is inevitably influenced by the fact that I've seen Moana about 100 times. Here it is: Moana is a bit of a pushy loudmouth. I know the narrative is that the new Disney princesses are bold and rescue themselves and that's great and I'm generally all for that. But I think there's something to be said for an old princess like Cinderella. Rather than thinking of her as a passive doormat, why not think of her as quietly self-assured? After all, she literally gets the last laugh: in that ending scene where the loud mean sisters destroy literature's most famous shoe, she just sits back and laughs like the bad bitch that she is and says, "But I've got the other slipper."

No comments:

Post a Comment