Welcome!

It's tough to be an introvert in an extrovert world, especially in an extrovert's profession, like teaching. Through this blog, I'd like to share my own and others' reflections on being an introvert in the classroom. This isn't a place for misanthropes or grumps, though; I hope to thoughtfully discuss the challenges that introverts face in schools and celebrate the gifts that introverted teachers and students bring to the educational environment. If you can relate, please join me!

Friday, November 23, 2012

I teach English.

There are two kinds of high school English teachers. There are the ones who say things like, "I don't teach English; I teach kids!" and then there are the ones who roll their eyes when they hear stuff like that. The introvert knows content but is stereotyped as weak or boring; the extrovert does not usually have the same content-area preparation but is, as Willy Loman said, "Well liked."

Content is, as I've explained in other posts, often brushed off because you can "use" any literature to teach a "process," whether it be writing, critical thinking, or interacting with others. But I think it's still about the content. After all, look at the alternatives.

If education is all about the teacher, we have a dictatorship. If it is all about the student, we have narcissism. You shouldn't hold blindly onto some fixed canon from the good old days nor should class be a big therapy session for students obsessed with the ephemeral.

The content is life. The content is the great conversation that people have been engaging in for eons about how to live a good life. If a class is focused on that, both students and teachers learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment