Welcome!

It's tough to be an introvert in an extrovert world, especially in an extrovert's profession, like teaching. Through this blog, I'd like to share my own and others' reflections on being an introvert in the classroom. This isn't a place for misanthropes or grumps, though; I hope to thoughtfully discuss the challenges that introverts face in schools and celebrate the gifts that introverted teachers and students bring to the educational environment. If you can relate, please join me!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

I've had my socks made fun of.

Lots of people lament the decline of civility in our society. But sometimes people have a shallow understanding of what that means. I don't mean it would be "nice" if people said "please" and "thank you" more often.

I mean that we are living in a world where a fifteen-year-old made fun of my socks. How can I be my true self, how can I be present and really be there for the kids if I have to worry about being disrespected on such a fundamental level? I've certainly had much worse things said to me, but for some reason the "socks" thing really stings. I think it's because nobody wants to look like a dork, and that fear runs really deep all through life.

I was wearing socks because it was 2000 and I was teaching at a California high school in which all the classroom doors opened up to outdoor hallways and it was freaking cold at 8:00 a.m. and therefore I couldn't not wear socks under my hippy-chic / professional long skirt from the '90s. I thought the length of the skirt hid the socks adequately. I was wrong.

This person who made fun of my socks (and gave me all sorts of other grief) was eventually classified as "gifted at-risk" and accepted into what is called a "middle college," or a high school housed on a college campus.

When I first heard of such schools, I thought it was a neat concept. High school sucks for smart kids, and how cool that someone finally saw that and made an alternative place for us! Oh, except not for me, because I was not only smart but also respectful, and that respectfulness would have been stereotyped as submissiveness.

I'm troubled by what I see as a trend of confusing acting like a jerk with having something to say. I even took an interview for a teaching position at this middle college high school, and they flat-out said that they wanted the student who will argue with the teacher. Now, a good teacher will invite students to argue with her intellectually. But I had the feeling they meant merely the student who challenges authority just for the sake of challenging authority.

I saw Dr. Jeffrey Duncan-Andrade speak at Mt. SAC last spring, and he was talking about the disruptive student in the back of the class, and how that student "has so much heart." I think an extrovert who is smart or hurt may show it by acting out, but I worry that some educators seem to believe that all who act out are smart, hurt extroverts. The thinking seems to go something like this: the more trouble-maker-ish you are, the more interesting/smart/hurt/worthy of attention you must be. Could it be that sometimes people act out because they are jerks? I am troubled by the idea that acting like a jerk is acceptable if you have a good reason.


It's not acceptable to be a jerk just because you're smart. Or because somebody hurt you. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Don't make fun of my socks, man.


Finally, I think acting out in response to grief is a behavior particular to extroverts. By only focusing on the jerks' problems, what happens to the introverts? I suspect the introverts are the ones that punish themselves, not others, for their pain. I suspect it's not the extroverted trouble-maker who falls through the cracks, who gets depression, who self-harms. Who's looking out for those kids?




No comments:

Post a Comment