Welcome!

It's tough to be an introvert in an extrovert world, especially in an extrovert's profession, like teaching. Through this blog, I'd like to share my own and others' reflections on being an introvert in the classroom. This isn't a place for misanthropes or grumps, though; I hope to thoughtfully discuss the challenges that introverts face in schools and celebrate the gifts that introverted teachers and students bring to the educational environment. If you can relate, please join me!

Monday, November 19, 2012

Neil Postman and the Tiger Mom

What do they have in common? They think the widespread idea that learning must be fun is a damaging idea. Hallelujah. Learning is rewarding and fulfilling. Sometimes it's fun, but it's a lot of hard work.

I really, really hate when people end their e-mails with quotes that are supposed to make me think deep thoughts, and the one that annoys me the most is, "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." What a crock! Admittedly, I love my job; I hope I never have to work anywhere else. But, make no mistake: it absolutely feels like work every single day.

I observed a colleague a few weeks ago who said he felt that he was "jumping through pedagogical hoops" to keep his students engaged. Every five to fifteen minutes there was a new activity, and that is certainly what we've all been taught is the Good and Teacherly Thing to Do. In The Republic of Noise, Diana Senechal laments the fact that teachers-in-training are being told to change it up every fifteen minutes because no kid will focus for longer than that. A pedagogy like this reinforces immediate gratification. It tells students that if you can't get it in a few minutes, then it's not worth the effort.

While I definitely think Amy Chua needs to take a chill pill, she was right when she said that often you have to practice and get good at something before you can like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment